Failed Credit Check on Your Job Application? We Can Help Fight Back

Last Updated:
April 7, 2023

When you apply for a new job, your employer will likely do a background and credit check. Unfortunately, a failed credit check can jeopardize your job prospects and cause you to no longer qualify for a position.

But what if a failed credit check isn’t because of you, but because of a credit check error? In that case, you need to know how to fight back and contact knowledgeable attorneys.

What Does it Mean to Fail a Credit Check?

Credit checks are standard parts of employment background checks these days. Many employers, as a way to weed out bad employees and to make sure that good candidates have the right qualifications, will order standard credit checks from background and credit screening agencies.

Normally, companies just want to make sure that job candidates have decent or good credit scores and no major negative signs. However, it’s possible to fail a credit check on your job application, especially if the job position relates to finance or money in some way.

For example, say that you apply to be the manager for a bank. Everything goes smoothly, and you even ace the interview. Unfortunately, you fail a credit check because your credit screening report comes back with information about a bankruptcy one year prior.

Because of this information, your prospective employer decides not to hire you. They inform you of this fact in an adverse action letter.

Generally, you’ll only fail a credit check if:

  • Your credit score is below some minimum threshold. This threshold can vary from employer to employer, but usually, so long as you have a credit score of about 670, you’ll be fine
  • Your credit report shows one or more worrying signs, such as previous bankruptcies, lots of outstanding loans and debts, missed payments, etc.

Why Do Employers Care About Credit?

Employers care about credit because it indicates your financial responsibility. If you have a low credit score, it indicates that you might be in monetary trouble, which can spell disaster for organizations looking to fill high-level, executive, or management positions.

Furthermore, employers might care about credit if they are trying to fill a position related to money spending and usage. The last thing a bank wants to do, for example, is hire someone with bad credit for a position that requires them to be trustworthy with money and move a lot of it around.

Not every employer cares about credit, and many employers won’t mind if your credit score is less than stellar. Still, it’s better to try to increase your credit score when you can to avoid failing a credit check on your job applications.

How to Fight Back Against False Credit Information

Although false credit information can harm your chances of employment, there are ways to fight back. In fact, the best way to do so is to first contact knowledgeable attorneys, then file a dispute with the credit bureaus that have the erroneous information.

Contact Knowledgeable Attorneys

Credit check error attorneys like Fair Credit are your best bet for securing a fast resolution. With the right lawyers on your side, you'll know how to go through the dispute process without any mistakes, plus gather enough evidence that the credit bureaus have no choice but to fix erroneous information they discover.

File a Dispute with the Credit Check Organization/Credit Bureau

Whether you work with attorneys or not, you need to file a dispute with the credit bureaus that have the mistaken information. Each of the credit bureaus – Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion – have different credit reports, so you'll need to file a dispute letter with each that has the erroneous info.

Order your free credit report from the three credit bureaus, then pore over the information. You can cross reference the info between all three documents, discovering which of the bureaus has the false or out-of-date information and sending a dispute letter afterward.

You can file a dispute letter online or by physical mail, although filing online is always faster and more advantageous. In your dispute letter, you should include the evidence you have that the credit info is false and a request that they fix it ASAP.

Take Them to Court (if Needed)

Under the FCRA or Fair Credit Reporting Act, credit bureaus have to fix erroneous information brought to their attention. They also have 30 days to investigate the issue after you file a dispute letter.

If they fail to do this, you could sue them for damages. Your lawyers will help you through this process and break down the best options for your family and finances.

How Can Credit Check Error Attorneys Help?

As you can see, there’s a lot to consider when it comes to fighting back against erroneous credit report information. That’s why it’s a good idea to hire credit check error attorneys from the beginning. The right attorneys can provide a valuable range of assistance like:

  • Help you file a dispute letter with the right bureaus and organizations. You may also need to file a dispute letter with credit furnishers or background screening agencies depending on the specifics of your case
  • Help you gather the right evidence to substantiate your claims. Some credit bureaus and background screening agencies may not correct erroneous info or out-of-date line items unless you can prove that the information is inaccurate
  • Help you file a successful lawsuit. Even in the best circumstances, lawsuits are far from open and shut. With attorneys working with you, you’ll have stellar representation in court and have a much better chance of recovering damages

Should your lawsuit be successful, you could recover up to $1000 or more in damages to compensate you for lost income and lost job opportunities.

Contact Fair Credit Today

With Fair Credit’s help, you’ll have the resources and support you need to fight back against credit check errors that cause you to miss out on job opportunities. Don’t wait; contact our knowledgeable attorneys today for more information.

Ready to take action?

Don't let these companies get away with violating your rights and causing you financial & emotional distress.

Free Case Review